Category : Heavy Duty Diagnostic Tools
The INLINE 6 is a highly reliable datalink adapter that can be used on a wide range of applications to communicate with vehicle systems via SAE J1708/J1587 and SAE J1939 protocols. Please note that the INLINE 6 is designed to be used with RP1210 compliant software.
Minimum System Requirements
Microprocessor – Intel Pentium 500 MHz
Memory – 2 GB
Operating System – Windows 7, Vista, & XP SP3
INSITE 7.5.1 installed
To Install the Cummins INLINE 6 Software Driver
* Insert the INLINE 6 driver CD into your computer’s CD-ROM drive.
* Run INLINE6_Driver_Setup.exe
* If a Windows Explorer folder opens, select INLINE6_Driver_Setup.exe Note that on some systems the autorun settings may be set to have the installation to just begin executing upon CD insertion.
To Install the INLINE 6 USB Hardware:
To install the INLINE 6 USB hardware, power up the INLINE 6 by plugging in the USB cable provided with the kit to the INLINE 6 and the PC. * WINDOWS XP – The Found New Hardware wizard should be displayed. On the first screen, select “Install the software automatically (Recommended)”. Click “Next” to continue. A message may appear “This software has not passed Windows Logo Testing……” Select “Continue Anyway”. Click “Finish” when installation is complete.
* WINDOWS VISTA/WINDOWS 7 – No action is required. The system tray should display a balloon stating “Installing Cummins Inline 6”.
* NOTE: If there is a previously installed INLINE 6 driver, you may need to remove the older driver before proceeding.
* After you have connected your INLINE 6 to your computer and the computer recognizes it as a valid device – you may need to update the firmware in the adapter. Please see the section below on using the INLINE 6 Reflash Tool.
Using Your INLINE 6oTo use the INLINE 6, you must select it from within the application you are using. Each application has a unique method for selecting datalink adapters. Please refer to the application’s documentation for instructions on selecting RP1210 compliant adapters.
* WINDOWS XP- To remove the Cummins INLINE 6 driver, click the “Start” button on the Windows task bar, and then navigate to “Control Panel”. Navigate to “Add or Remove Programs” Click on the entry “Cummins Inline6”. Click the “Remove” button. This will start the uninstall process. Wait until the uninstall process has completed before proceeding.
* WINDOWS VISTA/WINDOWS 7 – To remove the Cummins INLINE 6 driver, click the “Start” button on the Windows task bar, and then navigate to “Control Panel”. Navigate to “Programs/Features” Click the entry “Cummins Inline6’, Click “Uninstall” at the top of the Programs/Features window. This will start the uninstall process. Wait until the uninstall process has completed before proceeding.
Included with the INLINE 6 driver is a tool that allows you to reprogram (reflash) the INLINE 6 adapter with the latest firmware. The firmware that was shipped with your INLINE 6 adapter is included with this installation and can be found in C:\Program Files\ Common Files\Cummins\Inline6. The firmware file has a “.cal” extension and the name should include the version number. This file can be used to restore your adapter to its original condition, if necessary.
As new software is released, it will be made available on the INLINE web site. This software is typically bundled with a new driver. If you are not running the latest version, download the latest version, and run the associated installation. This will place the updated calibration file in the correct place on the PC.
To reprogram an INLINE 6 adapter connect the adapter to the PC. Click the “Start” button on the Windows task bar, and then navigate to “AllPrograms->INTELECT”. Click on the entry “Inline 6 Reflash Tool”. When the INLINE 6 Reflash Tool dialog appears, you have to make a couple of selections before proceeding. Select the communications port you will be using (e.g., USB, COM1). After selecting a communications port, click the “Browse…” button. When the “Open” dialog box appears, the files available for reflashing should be displayed. Click on the “.cal” file you want to use, click “Open”. If the file is valid, the “Status” window will display the message: “Ready to reflash Inline 6…”. If the file is not valid, the “Status” window will display the message: “Invalid File Format, Please select another file”. You cannot reprogram the adapter until a valid file has been selected.
Once you’ve selected a valid file, make sure your Heavy Duty Truck Scan Tool INLINE 6 is connected to the communications port selected above and the adapter is powered up. Click “Reflash” to begin the reprogramming process. Do not interrupt this process. It should take approximately 2 minutes to completely reprogram the adapter. When the reprogramming process is complete, another dialog box will appear, confirming that the reflash was successful. Click “OK” to exit this dialog box. At this point, you can connect another INLINE 6 adapter and click the Reflash button again to reprogram the next adapter.